Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Quotes...On Writing


The only thing I was fit for was to be a writer, and this notion rested solely on my suspicion that I would never be fit for real work, and that writing didn't require any. - Russell Baker

Unless a writer is extremely old when he dies, in which case he has probably become a neglected institution, his death must always be seen as untimely. This is because a real writer is always shifting and changing and searching. The world has many labels for him, of which the most treacherous is the label of Success. - James Baldwin

If the artist does not fling himself, without reflecting, into his work, as Curtis flung himself into the yawning gulf, as the soldier flings himself into the enemy's trenches, and if, once in this crater, he does not work like a miner on whom the walls of his gallery have fallen in; if he contemplates difficulties instead of overcoming them one by one...he is simply looking on at the suicide of his own talent- Honore de Balzac

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous- Robert Benchley

Why do writers write? Because it isn't there.- Thomas Berger

He was such a bad writer, they revoked his poetic license.- Milton Berle

No comments:

Post a Comment