Saturday, May 16, 2009

'Dear God': Flash Fiction by Nnamdi Osondu Awaraka

Dear God,

My name is Micah Ibe and I am seven years old. I know that you know that, my mummy and daddy say you know everything and you can see everything. Mummy and Daddy say I should pray to you and I have but I want to write a letter to you. I don’t know how I will send it to you but I’ll ask Mummy, she will know. My purpose of writing this letter is to greet you and thank you for everything you have done for me.

I’m okay; Chibuzo and Rose are fine too. Daddy says Cousin James has gone to heaven to meet you. Please tell him that I miss him very very very much and I will not forget that time we went to the bar beach together. Please tell him his parents miss him too and I saw his mummy crying even though she pretended she was not crying when I entered the parlour. Please make our dog Bingo find his way home and don’t let any motor jam him.

God, I have a question. Mummy said I should ask my teacher, Mr. Afolabi, but I want to ask you first. How does water enter the sky? What makes the sound of thunder? How did you make breeze? How is it that every body’s face looks different even though everybody has the same thing on their face (I mean eyes, ear, nose and mouth)? How do babies come? I asked mummy that one and looked at me somehow. Rose says my questions are stupid, but I really want to know the answer. Please help me to stop peeing on the bed, I can’t do it alone. Rose laughs at me every time. Please help me to stop being afraid of rats too. Please protect my family so nobody dies again. Please help daddy get promoted at work, he talks about it every time and prays about it in the morning during devotion. I really hope this gets to you. How will you reply? I'll ask mummy.

1 comment: